DONNIE DARKO 4K
DONNIE DARKO 4K re-release is coming. For voracious home video collectors, Arrow Films is probably a company you’ve grown well aware of (and possibly in awe of) over the last couple of years. The UK-Based company has, in recent years, become a heavy contender in the world of re-masters and re-releases of some of the film industry’s most cherished underground horror and grindhouse films.
Since they decided to revamp their brand in 2012 with an absolutely stunning re-mastering of ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, Arrow Films has done some amazing work; breathing new life into various Technicolor classics including EATEN ALIVE, BATTLES WITHOUT HONOR AND HUMANITY, YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY, and THE STUFF. The catalogue continues to grow and each release impresses. Personally, I am 100 percent, unabashedly an Arrow Video fanboy; and any news from them is bound to get me excited.
Their newest announcement is no exception.
Coming this December, Arrow Films will be releasing a deluxe 4k restoration boxed set of DONNIE DARKO … It’s about time.
Released in 2001, DONNIE DARKO has remained an object of awe, confusion, speculation, and psychological and philosophical theory ever since. Despite being 15 years old, its fan base has remained as devoted as ever and its critics continue to pick apart the film piece by piece, trying their damnedest to uncover every shred of information the film has to offer.
DONNIE DARKO saw its first home video release in 2002 and subsequently saw a “Director’s Cut” Blu-Ray release, but neither of those can even hold a candle to the dislodged airplane engine that is the Arrow Films release. This sucker is MASSIVE and finally gives the modern cult classic the home video treatment it deserves.
According to Arrow, the Blu-Ray release will come equipped with:
- Brand New 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director’s Cut from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster.
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of both cuts.
- Original 5.1 audio (DTS-HD on the Blu-ray)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut
- Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross, and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut
- Audio commentary by Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith on the Director’s Cut
- Brand new interviews with Richard Kelly and others
- The Goodbye Place, Kelly’s 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
- The Donnie Darko 4k Production Diary, an archival documentary charting the film’s production with optional commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster
- Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
- Archive interviews with Kelly, actors Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holmes Osborne, Noah Wyle, and Katharine Ross, producers Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Hunt Lowry, and Casey La Scala, and cinematographer Steven Poster
- Three archive featurettes: They Made Me Do It, They Made Me Do It Too, and #1 Fan: A Darkomentary
- Storyboard comparisons
- B-roll Footage
- Cunning Visions infomercials
- TV Spots
- Exclusive collector’s book containing new writing by Nathan Rabin, Anton Bitel, and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interviews with Richard Kelly, introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal, and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials
- Limited edition packaging featuring new artwork by Candice Tripp.
Needless to say, this release is going to be epic. For fans of the film it will be the must-have, definitive edition to add to your collection.
With that, I need to go sell some more of my liver, as all the cool things coming from Arrow are starting to royally destroy my bank account.
More information on this release and others will be posted right here on Terror Time as they develop.
Follow and insult Ian Donegan on Twitter @ianjdonegan if you’re feeling fancy. He posts there sometimes.
DONNIE DARKO 4K